“In 1925 a group of Old Boys and their friends formed a club called The Greyfriars RFC. However, in 1928 they decided to form the Old Cryptians Rugby Club (OCRFC). Only boys and Staff from the Crypt would now be eligible. The changing- rooms were at “The Ram” public house. This was later knocked down and the “New County” hotel was built. They then moved to the “Swan and Falcon” which was also demolished to make way for a multi-story car-park off Southgate Street.”
In the 1950s and 1960s the OCRFC used the facilities at the Crypt School. However, in the 1970s the Rugby Club moved to the Memorial ground and the Clubroom and changing-rooms were built.
Soon afterwards the Club decided to open up membership to non-Cryptians. In 1981-1982, the 1st XV, Captain was Dave Reeves, a non-Cryptian. This team had the best-ever County Cup run, beating the powerful Matson RFC in the Quarter- Final. They narrowly lost to Stroud RFC, then the Champions of the South-West area.
Dave has given outstanding service to the OCRFC for over 35 years. He was elected Chairman in 1998 and later followed his friend and great Cryptian, Doug Perks, as President.
He has supported the Old Cryptians’ Club throughout this time. The Club’s Committee has recognised his service over the years and have recommended that he be elected an Honorary Cryptian at the AGM.
The Old Cryptians’ Club hope that friends of Dave will come to the Dinner and support him on this special occasion.